The Universidad de Deusto - CIDE program offers students majoring or minoring in Spanish the opportunity to experience an immersive learning opportunity.
This program is located in Bilbao in north central Spain, just south of the Bay of Biscay and surrounded by two mountain ranges. The Centro International de Español (CIDE) is housed within the Universidad de Deusto's School of Social and Human Sciences.
Semester and summer programs are available. Learn more about these trips (semester and summer) through the Office of International Studies and Programs Study Abroad office.
Academics and credit
elective and required credit
toward the Spanish and Spanish Teacher Education major as well as the Spanish minor. Students can also earn some General Education credit (2019). Click here for the pre-articulated Spanish course list (2023)
- Courses are taken at the Centro International de Español (CIDE)
- All students are tested to determine their level of placement
- Earn 12-18 credit hours per semester
- Possibility of taking classes with Spanish university students, dependent upon language proficiency level
- Conversation exchange opportunities with Spanish students available
- Optional Education Internship: Observation classes in local school, transfer as clinical hours for Teacher Certification (available for additional cost
Eligibility and requirements
- Undergraduate or graduate students may apply
- Illinois State cumulative and major GPA of 2.5 or higher; graduate 3.0
- Minimum two full semesters at Illinois State or other college/university
- Language prerequisite: Spanish 213 undergraduate